I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want
and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skill I want.
And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones
and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life.
And I am horribly limited. - Sylvia Plath

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Review: Family Patterns by Kristin Eckhardt


Title/Author: Family Patterns by Kristin Eckhardt
Number of pages: 319
Series: Patchwork Mysteries #1
How I got it: Picked it out for free at Book Barn Book Exchange for purchasing more than $20 worth of books
Rating: 5/5

Goodreads Summary:

Sarah Hart, expert in vintage quilt restoration, finds herself in position to solve the hundred year old mystery of her grandmother's disappearance, and clear her grandfather's name. Takes place in the small town of Maple Hill, MA. First in a series.


My Review:
I really scored with this one. As the girl at the counter rung up all the books I ordered she told me since I spent atleast $20 I could pick out 2 free books on this particular $1 shelf behind me. I honestly picked this book because the cover stood out the most. I didn't even read what it was about because I was in a rush to go. Well let's just say that my instincts impressed myself ... hahaha..

The story takes place in a sweet little town with a sweet older lady, Sarah Hart as the protagonist. Even though Sarah is 60 years old, I really didn't have a problem relating to her. Her son and his family move in to town and move into her dad's old house that he grew up on, which is how Sarah's mystery solving begins. The disappearance of her grandmother has plagued her family since it happened 90 years ago, since her grandpa was the only suspect. Once she finds her dad's old quilt that supposedly disappeared the same night as her mom, she cannot fight the urge to restore the quilt for her father and finds the rest of the missing pieces to this mystery.

I wont lie, I got confused in acouple parts but its understandble, to me atleast. The mystery in this story takes place in the 1920s (and earlier) so theres like 6 generations of people in this family you will learn about. I think my favorite part about this book is that the mystery took place so long ago. Sarah is trying to solve this mystery of her missing grandmother to clear her grandfather's name, bring peace to her father, and finally learn who her grandmother molly was.

I've never really payed attention to quilts (even though I have one on my bed) and especially not the process of quilting but since Sarah restores old quilts, you learn about her love of quilts and all the hard work that really goes in to them. I definetly have a new appreciation for them.

I was interested throughout the whole book while Sarah discovered new clues. There's also a "side dish mystery" (as I like to call it) that involves one of Sarah's young tenants that will keep you interested as well.

I recommend this book 100% to anyone who loves cozy mysterys. The author's writing style is very smooth and thorough. I cannot wait to get the next book in the series!


Reading Challenges100 Books in 20111st in a Series ; Mystery and Suspense

No comments:

Post a Comment