I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want
and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skill I want.
And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones
and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life.
And I am horribly limited. - Sylvia Plath

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Review: The Last Summer (of You & Me) by Ann Brashares




Title/Author: The Last Summer (of You & Me) by Ann Brashares
Number of pages: 320
Series: N/A
How I got itBarnes & Noble
Rating: 3.5/5

Goodreads Summary:
In her first adult novel, the author of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants makes a journey to Fire Island, where 21-year-old Alice and her slightly older sister, Riley, are sharing a home and an infatuation. Boyish lifeguard Riley values her closeness with longtime neighbor Paul, but their "best friend" relationship has less pull than the attraction he shares with Alice. To protect Riley's feelings, the pair try to keep their blossoming romance secret. In the land of fiction, as in the real world, such furtiveness can't be sustained indefinitely, but in The Last Summer (of You & Me), complications and surprises confront us around every turn

My Review:
The book wasn't what I thought it would be based on the summary. I thought it was going to be a love-triangle but that wasn't necessarily the case. It's actually kind of hard to explain my feelings on this book.

Not a typical "love story". The characters were well developed and the story was very believable. The POV hopped around from Alice, Paul, and Riley... but it was like they were talking in 3rd person? ... The POV switched around usually without any warning so that was the only thing that bugged me. I also didn't understand why they called their parent's by first name but that wasn't really a big deal.

I did cry at one point, I'm a sucker. lol. I just couldn't get over the love everyone has for eachother.

blahh i feel like this is such a boring review!! haha but I honestly don't know what to say about this book. It was kind of deep for a "summer read" and even though it claims to appeal to the "grown up" crowd, I think teens will enjoy it just as much.

Simple, sweet, and heart breaking :( 


Reading Challenges100 Books in 2011 

No comments:

Post a Comment