I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want
and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skill I want.
And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones
and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life.
And I am horribly limited. - Sylvia Plath

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Review: One in a Million by Kimberla Lawson Roby



Title/Author: One in a Million by Kimberla Lawson Roby
Number of pages: 192
Series: N/A
How I got itBarnes & Noble
Rating: 3/5

Goodreads Summary:
Kimberla Lawson Roby's touching new novel is a tale of the amazing ways life continues to surprise- and confound- us with surprises, coincidences and interruptions just when we least expect it.
It's the story of a woman who has received the best news of her life, just as her husband receives the worst news of his. The shocking consequences of this one day will change their lives forever

My Review:
**THIS REVIEW WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS**

Okay well let me start off by saying that the goodreads summary is not accurate. It should read that the woman receives and best news of her life and the worst news, from her husband, all on the same day. I'm sure most of you could probably guess what the bad news is, I did atleast.

This was a short-ish story. I kind of feel like it would be an empowering novel for a woman to read that was going through a divorce as well. The husband in the story really pissed me off so much that I ended up skipping a chapter or two just because I didn't want to read about him anymore.

The end has a crazy turn of events that will make you laugh out loud. Karma's a b****h! I really loved that the author gave the main character a strong faith in God, which helped her through this divorce. The author portrayed the power of prayer very well and also showed how rewarding it is to give to others in need or who really deserve it. 

This story also made me not ever want to win the lottery!! .... or get married for that matter. lol. 

It was a okay, short read but not anything I would go around recommending. Except, like I said before, to a woman going through a divorce. She would be able to relate, find some comfort and even take some notes on how to cope, like the character in the story. 

Reading Challenges100 Books in 2011 

No comments:

Post a Comment