I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want
and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skill I want.
And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones
and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life.
And I am horribly limited. - Sylvia Plath

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Review: Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris


Title/Author: Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris
Number of pages: 320
Series: Harper Connelly #1
How I got it: Paperback Swap
Rating: 3/5


Barnes & Noble Review:

The first book in Charlaine Harris's mystery series introduces readers to Harper Connelly, a strange young woman who -- after being struck by lightning as a child -- is able to locate dead people and determine exactly how they died.

Accompanied by her stepbrother, Tolliver (who works as her manager), Harper heads to small-town Arkansas for their next job. Her client is a socialite named Sybil Teague, who wants Harper to find a teenage girl who disappeared on the day her son was found shot dead in the woods. The girl, Monteen "Teenie" Hopkins, has a reputation for being "wild as a razorback," and scandalous rumors abound about the two. But once Harper locates Teenie's corpse a short distance from the spot where Sybil's son died and reveals that she was shot in the back while trying to escape, the real trouble starts. As more town residents begin to turn up dead -- and with her brother in jail on bogus charges -- Harper must find the real killer before she becomes his next victim.


Fans of Harris's Southern Vampire saga (Dead Until Dark, Living Dead in Dallas, Club Dead, et al.) featuring Sookie Stackhouse -- the telepathic waitress from southern Louisiana with a thing for the undead -- will thoroughly enjoy Grave Sight, a terrific read filled with paranormal intrigue, hot romance, and some really clever mysteries. Anyone who enjoyed reading about Sookie's adventures will embrace Harper Connelly, who is created from the same feisty mold. Paul Goat Allen
 

My Review:

Charlaine Harris is known for her quirky characters and Harper Connelly is definetly one of them. She can find dead people and know how they dead, just not who killed them. Harper is not strong and independent like Charlaine's main characters usually are. She actually depends a great deal on her brother, Tolliver. That kind of annoyed me because I love to read about a strong woman that knows how to get the job done. The story wasnt one of her best mysteries because things were kind of in limbo for too long for my liking. I gave it a 3 not because the story was bad, it just wasn't as exciting as Charlaine's stories usually are. I'll definetly continue the series though.


Reading Challenges: 100 Books in 2011 ; Mystery and Suspense


No comments:

Post a Comment