I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want
and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skill I want.
And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones
and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life.
And I am horribly limited. - Sylvia Plath

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Review: Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede




Title/Author: Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede
Number of pages: 212
Series: Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1
How I got it: Paperback Swap
Rating: 3/5

Goodreads Summary:
Cimorene is everything a princess is not supposed to be: headstrong, tomboyish, smart. . . .And bored. So bored that she runs away to live with a dragon . . . and finds the family and excitement she's been looking for.

My Review:
This is a cute story. I'm sure if I would have read it when I was younger I would have given it more stars but it was kind of childish for me. The plot was exceptionally thorough though, everything that was mentioned ended up having a purpose somewhere throughout the book. You definetly have to pay attention and keep your guard up for little hints mentioned to prepare yourself for what is about to come. 

I've always dreamed of having my very own dragon, well every since I read "Eragon" by Christopher Paolini...but this was a different aspect of human/dragon interactions. Instead of the dragon being of service to the human, the human is actually catering to the dragon. It's cute how the author played up the whole "princess captured by dragon/knight comes to save princess by slaying dragon/they live happily ever after" scenario. Definetly an interesting and funny twist when the princess doesn't want to be rescued! Seeing as she wasn't kidnapped in the first place. I enjoyed all the characters but I doubt I'll read the rest of the books in this series.

I recommend this to a younger crowd (the book says ages 10 & up but I say anywhere from 9-13), anyone really into dragons, or someone looking for an interesting change up from the usual fairytales.


Reading Challenges: 100 Books in 2011 

No comments:

Post a Comment