I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want
and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skill I want.
And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones
and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life.
And I am horribly limited. - Sylvia Plath

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Review: Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead



Title/Author: Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Number of pages: 332
Series: Vampire Academy #1
How I got it: Random used bookstore in Key West (forgot the name :( )
Rating: 5/5

Goodreads Summary:

St. Vladimir's Academy isn't just any boarding school—it's a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They've been on the run, but now they're being dragged back to St. Vladimir's—the very place where they're most in danger...
Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy's ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi—the world's fiercest and most dangerous vampires—make Lissa one of them forever.

My Review:
This book has been on my bookshelf for awhile. Mostly because I've been so obsessed with the House Of Night series and I didn't want to get mixed up with another vampire series until I was done with HON. Well... I couldn't help myself. I received a Vampire Academy "sample" booklet from a local Books & Books that contained the first 5 chapters the other day so I figured I'd just read the sample booklet, see how I liked it, and I'd finish reading the actual book I had on my bookshelf at a later time. As you can tell, I have already finished the book. Like I said, I couldn't help myself!! (I also finished the book within one day, thats saying something for me!)


Okay onto my feelings of the book... I couldn't help but compare it to the HON stories. I mean c'mon... vampire school, earth/air/fire/water/spirit elements, one student with powers that surpass the other students and vampires, lots of crushes and hookups, stuck up enemies looking for revenge, bonds/imprints, etc... you get the point. But, I soon realized this book is very different. Instead of silly words like "bullpoopie", Vampire Academy is more serious and more believable, in my opinion. I guess you could say alittle more "grown up" even though the character in both books are suppose to be around the same age. The main character, Rose, is a smart-mouthed badass who would do anything for her Moroi & BFF Lissa. I adored that bond that held them together, even though I felt like they talked about it alittle TOO much. I felt like every paragraph mentioned how Rose was focusing in on Lissa's emotions. The author probably mixed dreamy Dimitri into the guarding of Lissa so the readers wouldn't get so annoyed with the whole Rose/Lissa bond. He was definetly my favorite character and hope he remains a main character throughout the next books in this series.


This book had alot of twists & turns with some "whodunits?". One of the better YA paranormal books I've read, can't wait to get the rest of the series! I def. recommend it to anyone who enjoys paranormal! More mature than the usual YA.
Reading Challenges: 100 Books in 2011 

9 comments:

  1. I loved this book too! In fact I adored the entire series, it just gets better and better - Dimitri is my fav too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im your newest follower. if you would like to follower me back @ http://singlecountrychick.blogspot.com/. Love the review! and the blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. welcome! I hope you enjoy! I have followed you back :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Stumbling from STT! I'm also your new follower!!

    Kristin :)
    Keenly Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is one of my only two fave book series. well, i agree with you the first book was focused on lissa. actually when i first read this, i thought lissa was the main character. my fave book in this series is Shadow Kiss - Love Dimitri!! Like Christian too and wait till you meet Adrian :) these guys are the best guys in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Kristin! thanks for stumbling by ;) I've seen your blog before! & I'm also a new follower of yours!

    jenai - i cant wait to read more about Dimitri! he's so yummy! and who is this new guy your talking about?! ahh i cant wait till I get the rest of the books!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love vampire academy. The books get better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just got the 2nd,3rd, & 4th books in the series... i'm dying to get to them!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved all the Vampire Academy Books - they just kept getting better. Rose is a brilliant character and let's face it Dimitri is pretty hot!!

    ReplyDelete