I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want
and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skill I want.
And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones
and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life.
And I am horribly limited. - Sylvia Plath

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Review: Shakespeare's Landlord by Charlaine Harris

Title/Author: Shakespeare's Landlord by Charlaine Harris
Number of Pages: 216
Series: Lily Bard Mystery, #1
How I got it: Paperback Swap
Rating: 4/5

Goodreads Summary:
From the author of the Aurora Teagarden novels comes a new series set in Shakespeare, Arkansas, a Southern town brimming with charm and a definite touch of noir. When her landlord is murdered, loner Lily Bard looks like the prime suspect. Uncovering the real killer may be the only way to prove her innocence, and Lily soon focuses on the other residents of tiny Shakespeare in her quest to expose the culprit.

My Review:
After I read Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series, I ordered the first book in all of her other series. I really loved her style of writing so I was pretty sure I wouldn't be disappointed, and I wasn't. This story started out alot slower than the Sookie Stackhouse series but I quickly learned it's a very different setting. Shakespeare's Landlord is darker then I expected it be but I loved the strong woman Lily Bard is. She made me feel like I could take some karate lessons and be able to defend myself in any situation. She also taught me that I shouldn't take anybody's crap.

I really enjoyed the characters in this story. Every single one of them had a purpose. I found myself constantly trying to figure out who the killer was, even when I wasn't reading the book. It's well thought out and put together. When I look at it now that I've finished, it was a pretty simple book but the story was great. I can't wait to get the rest of the books in this series. I don't normally enjoy books that don't involve any type of paranormal/fantasy but I would definetly recommend this to anyone who enjoys a cozy mystery.

Reading Challenges: 100 Books in 2011 ; Mystery and Suspense

No comments:

Post a Comment