I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want
and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skill I want.
And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones
and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life.
And I am horribly limited. - Sylvia Plath

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Review: Shakespeare's Champion by Charlaine Harris



Title/Author: Shakespeare's Champion
Number of pages: 224
Series: A Lily Bard Mystery #2
How I got itPaperback Swap
Rating: 4.5/5

Goodreads Summary:
When Lily stumbles upon the well-built corpse of a local body builder-his neck broken by a barbell-the town's underlying racial tension begins to boil over. The white victim was somehow connected to two unsolved murders of black residents of Shakespeare-and a dogged policeman is determined to stop the killing. But it is Lily herself who may have to decide whether to stay and fight for justice, or run away one more time.

My Review:
Let me start out by saying that Lily Bard is a bad a**! She's tough, determined, & doesn't take crap from anyone! 

This book starts off with one mystery and ends up with about 5 or 6 by the end of it. Different from the first book in the series, which focused on only events surrounding one murder. I'll admit I got alittle confused with all the events going on, especially since Harris doesn't always explain who people are/they're background stories at first. I honestly thought the mystery death had something to do with the "fitness world" but ended up being about racism going around in the town. Touchy subject but Harris portrayed it well. You can't help but think about all the little back woods towns like Shakespeare around the country dealing with the same ignorant problems as this mystery. Made me want to go out & kiss some butt!

As the stories unfold you start to realize the connection between the events happening. Harris brings in a bunch of new interesting characters that I enjoyed being in there. Most were not good guys, but they were definetly interesting.... which is why I love Harris so much. Her characters are fun and exciting.

I really wish I could see a picture of Lily though because it seems like every guy wants a piece of her! geeez woman! 

I enjoyed this book alot more than the first, which is saying something. I have already ordered the next 3 books in this series. I just hope Lily doesn't get hurt as many times as she did this time! There's not going to be any scarless skin on her body by the time Harris is done with her! 



Reading Challenges100 Books in 2011 ; Mystery and Suspense

No comments:

Post a Comment