I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want
and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skill I want.
And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones
and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life.
And I am horribly limited. - Sylvia Plath

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Review: Lilies in Moonlight by Allison Pittman


Title/Author: Lilies in Moonlight by Allison Pittman
Number of pages: 352
Series: N/A
How I got it: won in a Goodreads giveaway
Rating: 4/5


 
Goodreads Summary:
He’d lost his zest for life. She was just lost. Will they find the healing and love they long for?

After a roaring night on the town, fun-loving flapper Lilly Margolis, dazed and disoriented, twists her ankle and falls into the backyard of a wealthy family where the effects of the Great War—over for more than half a decade—are still endured. Inside the walls of the Burnside mansion, Cullen Burnside, a disillusioned and disfigured veteran, and his widowed mother, Betty Ruth, who daily slips a little further into dementia, lead a lonely existence … until Lilly. Whimsical, lighthearted, and beautiful, she rejuvenates their sad, disconnected lives and blossoms in the light of their attention.

But Lilly, like Cullen, is hiding from a painful past. And when Cullen insists on returning her to her faraway home, their budding attraction seems destined to die on the vine. The resulting road trip becomes a journey of self-discovery—but what will Cullen and Lilly find at journey’s end?

My Review:
What a lovely, sweet book! I enjoyed it so much! I had never read about life in the 20s so this was a new treat for me. I especially loved that it took place in South Carolina because it displayed the real southern charms of that time.
    The characters are so lovable. Even though they each have the faults, you can't help but be so impressed how well Allison Pittman developed them. Cullen is a war-torn veteran who is scarred and rough to look at which has given him a tough shell but he is so caring and understanding with his mother. Even with Lily even though he hates to admit his admiration for that crazy girl. He tends to have a sarcastic tone throughout the book which adds to the humor.
    Lily was a flapper whenever she fell upon the Burnside's estate. A lonely flapper with no money and heading no where fast. The Burnside family takes her in to help her back on her feet and give her some guidance. Little did either side know how attached they would get!
   Betty Ruth Burnside is Cullen's mother who has dementia spells. She is a spitfire! My favorite character of all! She's out of her mind crazy but so lovable and childlike even. Everybody revolves around her to keep her sheltered and safe, mostly from herself. Betty Ruth is what keeps this crazy bunch together because if it wasn't for her I doubt any of them would have hung around longer than a day.
   I don't want to say too much but towards the end of the book the family goes on a road trip to accomplish a few things. This road trip was both hilarious and tiresome. Just by reading I felt like I was right there taking the trip with them. Pittman is an amazing author and she really grabs you. I plan on reading more of her books... I just hope there are more characters like Lily and Betty Ruth!

Reading Challenges100 Books in 2011 

No comments:

Post a Comment