I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want
and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skill I want.
And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones
and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life.
And I am horribly limited. - Sylvia Plath

Monday, April 18, 2011

Review: Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr


Title/Author: Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr
Number of pages: 328
Series: Wicked Lovely #1
How I got it: Paperback Swap
Rating: 4/5


Goodreads Summary:
All teenagers have problems, but few of them can match those of Aislinn, who has the power to see faeries. Quite understandably, she wishes that she could share her friends' obliviousness and tries hard to avoid these invisible intruders. But one faery in particular refuses to leave her alone. Keenan the Summer King is convinced beyond all reasoning that Aislinn is the queen he has been seeking for nine centuries. What's a 21st-century girl to do when she's stalked by a suitor nobody else can see? A debut fantasy romance for the ages; superlative summer read


My Review:
It took me awhile to get into this book but i partly blame it on being busy with school. I ended up really enjoying this book though. It's nothing like I've read before. The whole modern day faerie is new to me and I loved the way Marr introduced me to it. 
    I loved how she describes the different types of faeries and how theres different courts. Some things would confuse me but everything came together as I kept reading. I don't want to give too much away but it's not your usual love story(s). Aislinn (pronounced Ash-Lin but I can't help but pronounce it like As-Lin) is not like any other protagonist ... actually none of the characters can be described as typical. It was very refreshing to read about a whole new set of personalities.
    Since I knew this was the first book of the series I was afraid that the book would end on a cliff-hanger like most do, but it didn't. Which is what I like. I'm glad it ended the way it did because I don't feel like I have to read the second book to really appreciate the first one. But I will definetly continue with the series. I'd love to see how these characters develop further.
 



Reading Challenges: 100 Books in 2011 ; 1st in a Series







1 comment:

  1. This was the first Fae book that I enjoyed, but I haven't read the rest in the series. I've been meaning to, but I also get too busy with school. Great review :) thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete